Skip to main content

My cliché "mom group"

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Think back to my first blog entry to my belief that certain people have been very carefully placed into my life to get me through this new journey I've found myself in.  Cue my "mom group."  I've seen God work in many ways, many I've ignored and many I've found wonderful. This is wonderful.

Over a year ago, I got a message from a 'girl' who's baby I helped deliver asking if I would be interested in coming to a 'brunch' with a few other moms who had all recently had babies.  Meh, sure? I don't really like meeting new people and I don't really need any new friends, and I definitely don't want to talk to a bunch of new moms.  Doesn't she know I've done this before? I have a 3 year old, spit up and breastfeeding and sleepless nights don't phase me, I've totally done this before. OKAY, "yea that would be awesome, I can't wait, thanks so much for including me." 

So about 4 weeks into my maternity leave with Sloane I packed up her diaper bag and we went to this strangers house. I stressed out about what food tray to bring and I didn't know what to wear because here I was, lactating like a cow and about to go meet a bunch of new people. I walked into this house, this beautiful house that I then based my decor in my new house off of, and was given a mimosa, heavy on the champagne, and the rest is literally history. I fell right into it, we talked for hours, we got along, we laughed and at the end of the day we all agreed on one thing, breastfeeding was definitely a love/hate relationship. 

We started taking pictures of our babies, oh my gosh they were so cute when they couldn't move! We eventually called ourselves the "Babies Who Brunch." We had wine nights and sooner than later I had developed some of the best friendships I never even knew I was missing. So much for not needing these new friends, huh? 

Fastforward to November 21, the worst day of my life, to date.  And here come these strong women ready to support me and pray for me and wrap their arms around me. I guess I needed this "mom group."  Thanks God.  On this past Friday night our friends hosted all 8 of the families to their home for pizza and drinks, we showed up a little late and much to my surprise there were all these adults holding their babies in the most adorable "Sloane's Tribe" purple t-shirts. Shut up! I can't stop crying! What did Austin and I do to deserve these amazing people in our lives? It's easy for me to boast about the moms I've become so close to, but the dad's need their credit too.  We exchange ornaments and they exchange beer and the group really functions pretty well.  On top of it all, they all LOVE Audrey.  How lucky and blessed we are.  God is good. 



I've always been told to give credit when credit is due. Meet my lifelines, from left to right:

BRIDGET is Ro's mama.  She came to us a couple weeks after our first meet up and never got to leave.  She's from a good ole' Catholic family in Iowa.  She is one of the kindest souls I've ever met, she knows just how to make you smile.  She is thoughtful and genuine.  She is also a photographer, seriously a jack of all trades.
KELLY is Beau's mama.  Many of our jokes stem from Kelly's intense hatred of germs, but she knows we mean well. I'd never seen an actual "pacifier wipe" until I saw her pull one out at our first brunch.  Kelly always lends a helping hand and I don't know how she doesn't run out of hands to lend.
LINDSAY is Fitz's mama.  Lindsay is strong willed, she is organized and always so on top of everything that it blows my mind.  Lindsay is ambitious, I hope one day to have half of her ambition. She's managed to conquer going back to school with a lil one and that is impressive.
AMY is Penn's mama.  I've envied baby Penn's name from the time my husband showed me a picture of this fresh newborn that I had no idea who her parents were.  Amy is fierce, she is strong and intelligent. Amy is our au-natural queen and oh so witty and in another life I hope I can be more like her.
JANA is Buck's mama, the one with those sweet blond curls.  Jana is our socialite, she actually knows everyone, it's  pretty impressive.  Jana is fun, I know that sounds simple, but fun is just what we need most of the time.
RACHEL is James' mama, aka SBJ. Rachel is encouraging, she always has a compliment ready to be given.  Rachel is in the medical field, our minds typically run on the same path.  She always remains positive and she is so incredibly attentive. 
EMILY is Benni's mama.  I met Emily at work, tossing and turning her to make Benni happier in-utero. I never saw love like I did as I watched her husbands face when Bennett was born, I knew these were good people.  Emily embodies friendship, life has thrown her battles and she remains one of the strongest women I know.  Emily is honest and compassionate.

These mamas have done things for me and my family over the past 2 weeks that I'll probably never be able to thank them enough for.  So before I finish this, I have some specific prayer requests: Please pray for all of these women individually, Please pray that God gives them the strength they need to continue to carry me along.  Please pray for their families, that God watches over their spouse's and their children, please pray for their health.  Please pray for our friendship, that it continues to strengthen.  And as always, please pray for Sloane, that her body adjusts to the chemotherapy, that she finds good rest when she sleeps and that she remains our happy, bubbly baby girl. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 21, 2017

I'm not much of a writer and my mind has been all over the map in the past 24 hours. Yesterday was the hardest day of our lives, to date. One cannot be prepared to sit in a doctors office and be told their child has Cancer. Our child? Our sweet spunky 15 month old has cancer? The pit in my stomach is real? Can you start over? I'm suffocating, we're suffocating. Oh please, God. But there's medicine, and chemotherapy, and really intelligent well practiced physicians. And there was a lot more said and only a little retained. Yesterday was a really really hard and long day.  Sloane was diagnosed with bilateral retinoblastomas, also known as cancerous tumors in both eyes. She will be having an MRI under anesthesia on Friday morning to rule out a tumor in her brain. She will then have surgery to get a port placed in her chest for 6-8 months of systemic chemotherapy. Surgery will follow the chemo and her eyes will be followed closely. We became a part of the Riley Family ye

Saint Lucy

God is GOOD is an understatement.  We spoke with Sloane's oncologist this morning.  The MRI showed no brain tumors and no optic nerve involvement.  Austin and I took a huge deep breath, that felt good. Unfortunately, her left eye is as advanced as the doctors originally thought.  We are awaiting staging for her right eye to determine further treatment.  The left eye will need to be removed, it will not be responsive to any type of chemotherapy and the retina is completely detached and basically covered in tumor.  The staging of her right eye will determine if she needs systemic chemotherapy or local chemotherapy (chemo injected into her eye).  We should know more this afternoon.  If the doctors feel that her right eye will need systemic chemo then we will proceed with a port placement hopefully this week.  I hope this all makes sense. Looking back and reflecting on this past week almost brings me to my knees.  God works in very mysterious and very timely ways.  He gave us such a

Hope

Over the past three weeks I've heard a lot of the same words repeated to me, and some of them just make me laugh a little under my breath.  For example: when people say "it's so inspiring to see how well you're holding yourself together" or "I'm so impressed by how strong your faith is."  They don't make me chuckle because those kinds of things are funny, but more because of  how untrue I find those words to be.  Honestly, this is not what holding it together looks like, I wasn't given a choice, I didn't get to voice my opinion, and I would never choose this upon my worst enemy, this is not holding it together. Let's be real, everyone knows how much I love to voice my opinion, and I got no say. Secondly, my faith found me again on a Tuesday morning in a doctors office.  And at the same time I tried to process that this kind stranger was diagnosing my daughter with advanced cancer, I was also trying to process how Jesus was going to ac