Skip to main content

Humbled by the Holidays

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
Great is your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,'  says my soul,
Therefore I will hope in him." Lamentations 3:22-24

What a humbling holidays we have had. It is truly mind blowing to stand here in my shoes and see all the generosity that has been thrown our way. For a lack of a better vocabulary, cancer really sucks. It is so easy for my mind to travel that direction and for tears to come because I do really hate cancer. I hate it for my daughter, and I hate it for everyone else who has to come in contact with it. I hate watching my family suffer because I know they are suffering right along with us. But as much as I hate all of this, I really love what I'm witnessing. A community that has totally come together in faith and prayer and love for us, for Sloane, and for all of our family. I do hope my family feels as lifted in prayer as Austin and I and the girls do. 

The outpouring of love is extraordinary. I have never felt so connected to so many people. So many things have been done for our family in the past weeks that I find it hard to remember this is real sometimes. We will never be able to thank everyone enough for the financial support you have given our family. Many organizations have sent us gifts for both the girls and they may not see the kindness but Austin and I do, and we are so very thankful. Project Joy, Angels of Hope, The Aidan Brown Foundation, Cookies for Kids' Cancer, Riley Hospital for Children and to everyone else who has made this holiday season very special to us, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts. 

Sloane finished her second round of chemo yesterday. No immediate complications and we got to do the chemo outpatient as we were hoping. We know we have a rough week ahead of us and we cling to all of your prayers to carry us through. Next on our schedule is an eye exam under anesthesia (EUA) on January 9th. This will be a really big day for Sloane as it will let us know if the chemo is working. We should see shrinkage in the tumors which would mean the chemo is doing its job. Depending on how the tumors look, the ophthalmologist will inject local chemo into the tumors itself through her eyes. This will all depend on how they are measuring. 

Prayer requests for the next week or so: Please pray for Sloane, please pray for good hydration, less constipation, and no fevers. Please pray for me and Austin that we find peace in each other's strengths to get us through this difficult week ahead. Please pray for our friends and family that are helping us out so much at home. Lastly, please pray for everyone's health, we need our family and friends healthy to continue to support us as best they can. 

St. Lucy, Pray for us. 
Blessed Father Solanus Casey, Pray for us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 21, 2017

I'm not much of a writer and my mind has been all over the map in the past 24 hours. Yesterday was the hardest day of our lives, to date. One cannot be prepared to sit in a doctors office and be told their child has Cancer. Our child? Our sweet spunky 15 month old has cancer? The pit in my stomach is real? Can you start over? I'm suffocating, we're suffocating. Oh please, God. But there's medicine, and chemotherapy, and really intelligent well practiced physicians. And there was a lot more said and only a little retained. Yesterday was a really really hard and long day.  Sloane was diagnosed with bilateral retinoblastomas, also known as cancerous tumors in both eyes. She will be having an MRI under anesthesia on Friday morning to rule out a tumor in her brain. She will then have surgery to get a port placed in her chest for 6-8 months of systemic chemotherapy. Surgery will follow the chemo and her eyes will be followed closely. We became a part of the Riley Family ye

Saint Lucy

God is GOOD is an understatement.  We spoke with Sloane's oncologist this morning.  The MRI showed no brain tumors and no optic nerve involvement.  Austin and I took a huge deep breath, that felt good. Unfortunately, her left eye is as advanced as the doctors originally thought.  We are awaiting staging for her right eye to determine further treatment.  The left eye will need to be removed, it will not be responsive to any type of chemotherapy and the retina is completely detached and basically covered in tumor.  The staging of her right eye will determine if she needs systemic chemotherapy or local chemotherapy (chemo injected into her eye).  We should know more this afternoon.  If the doctors feel that her right eye will need systemic chemo then we will proceed with a port placement hopefully this week.  I hope this all makes sense. Looking back and reflecting on this past week almost brings me to my knees.  God works in very mysterious and very timely ways.  He gave us such a

Hope

Over the past three weeks I've heard a lot of the same words repeated to me, and some of them just make me laugh a little under my breath.  For example: when people say "it's so inspiring to see how well you're holding yourself together" or "I'm so impressed by how strong your faith is."  They don't make me chuckle because those kinds of things are funny, but more because of  how untrue I find those words to be.  Honestly, this is not what holding it together looks like, I wasn't given a choice, I didn't get to voice my opinion, and I would never choose this upon my worst enemy, this is not holding it together. Let's be real, everyone knows how much I love to voice my opinion, and I got no say. Secondly, my faith found me again on a Tuesday morning in a doctors office.  And at the same time I tried to process that this kind stranger was diagnosing my daughter with advanced cancer, I was also trying to process how Jesus was going to ac