Skip to main content

One Year

I remember a few things about the morning we went to Riley. 1) I woke up and curled my hair. 2) I did not want to be a frequent member of the Simon family member parking garage. 3) I remember the way the fellow couldn’t look us in the eye before she left the room to get Dr. Plager.

I thought curling my hair would wake me up, slap me out of the nightmare that was the past 12 hours with google at my fingertips. I even tried makeup, only to be cried off in the next few hours. The parking garage led to the waiting room, and I didn’t want any part of it. There were so many kids, playing. And I just kept praying that my kid wouldn’t be one of them. For sake of privacy, we will just call her the fellow. She was kind and she was gentle. She didn’t talk much, she kept doing all these funny things to get Sloane to look certain ways, she kept repeating them and she was doing it to both eyes and that’s when we knew. We didn’t need Dr. Plager to tell us what we already knew. But she brought him in the room and our world had already started shifting, all the what if’s were real and we kept standing and I probably should have known then that we would all be okay.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." 
Phillipians 4:6-7

I didn’t think we would make it to today. I didn’t think things on our to-do list would include cleaning the carpets and a grocery trip the day before Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving was quiet- we were thankful over and over but it was quiet. We prayed a lot and cried more and then the day after Thanksgiving Sloane had an MRI and a port placed and she was admitted to Riley to start her first round of chemo. For a lack of better words, it is so crazy how this year has gone by. At the same time, I feel like it was only an hour ago that Sloane was diagnosed with cancer, but I also feel like it has been ten years. It is hard to put a whole year in perspective in one piece of writing. I just keep telling myself I didn’t think we would get here. In my head I couldn’t picture the year ahead of us. I remember the first week, I can feel how swollen my eyes were, I can see the way Audrey was looking at us with so many questions that she didn’t know how to ask. I remember the way it felt to go to sleep at night, so scared and unsure of what the next day would be like. There were so many phone calls, so many new people, so many doctors, so many tests. But there was also so much love, so many family members just waiting for us to ask for anything, so much kindness, so much prayer. It’s the latter part of those feelings that have carried us through. I remember all the questions asked, mainly revolving around ‘why.’ Why Sloane? Why us? Why now? Why so advanced? Why both eyes? Why God? It was hard not to linger on those questions and to this day still can be hard but it’s a downward spiral and we try to avoid searching for those answers.

What I’ve learned- cancer sucks. Cancer is ugly, cancer is heartbreaking, cancer sucks. Also what I've learned- childhood cancer is NOT rare. Childhood cancer is not funded appropriately. Childhood cancer needs research. Childhood cancer can happen to anyone, at anytime, and anywhere. Childhood cancer is real. Also what I've learned- kids are amazing. Kids are stronger than we are, kids are resilient, and kids know how to fight.

I was talking to a friend a couple of weeks ago just about the whole big vague picture of life and its ups and downs and inbetweens, and I had to just kind of pause and consider ourselves lucky. Lucky is a word I have not tossed around at all in the past year. No, I'm not calling us lucky because our daughter has cancer. More lucky though because of how we have survived this past year. Lucky to be surrounded and lucky to be so loved by so many. I just couldn't imagine our lives without every single person who has come into our big vague picture. Our big picture it hard, it is sad, it makes me cry, it's unfair and it always will be. BUT Sloane is here and she is thriving and she knows how to light up a room. She has opened up our faith in ways we didn't know it needed opening. She has brought us closer to family and helped us make new friends. She continues to make my heart jump every time she smiles. And as I've said before - Cancer really stood no chance - this girl has plans.

I speak for Austin and I both when I say that we will never be able to appropriately thank all of the people who have made a difference in our lives over the past year, but please know we are so appreciative of you. We have never once felt alone in this battle, we have always felt prayed for and we have always felt very loved.

Here's to one year of cancer, a big year of change, and many many more years to come. Happy Thanksgiving and lots of love to all of you.

St. Lucy, Pray for us.
Blessed Father Solanus Casey, Pray for us.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

November 21, 2017

I'm not much of a writer and my mind has been all over the map in the past 24 hours. Yesterday was the hardest day of our lives, to date. One cannot be prepared to sit in a doctors office and be told their child has Cancer. Our child? Our sweet spunky 15 month old has cancer? The pit in my stomach is real? Can you start over? I'm suffocating, we're suffocating. Oh please, God. But there's medicine, and chemotherapy, and really intelligent well practiced physicians. And there was a lot more said and only a little retained. Yesterday was a really really hard and long day.  Sloane was diagnosed with bilateral retinoblastomas, also known as cancerous tumors in both eyes. She will be having an MRI under anesthesia on Friday morning to rule out a tumor in her brain. She will then have surgery to get a port placed in her chest for 6-8 months of systemic chemotherapy. Surgery will follow the chemo and her eyes will be followed closely. We became a part of the Riley Family ye

Saint Lucy

God is GOOD is an understatement.  We spoke with Sloane's oncologist this morning.  The MRI showed no brain tumors and no optic nerve involvement.  Austin and I took a huge deep breath, that felt good. Unfortunately, her left eye is as advanced as the doctors originally thought.  We are awaiting staging for her right eye to determine further treatment.  The left eye will need to be removed, it will not be responsive to any type of chemotherapy and the retina is completely detached and basically covered in tumor.  The staging of her right eye will determine if she needs systemic chemotherapy or local chemotherapy (chemo injected into her eye).  We should know more this afternoon.  If the doctors feel that her right eye will need systemic chemo then we will proceed with a port placement hopefully this week.  I hope this all makes sense. Looking back and reflecting on this past week almost brings me to my knees.  God works in very mysterious and very timely ways.  He gave us such a

Hope

Over the past three weeks I've heard a lot of the same words repeated to me, and some of them just make me laugh a little under my breath.  For example: when people say "it's so inspiring to see how well you're holding yourself together" or "I'm so impressed by how strong your faith is."  They don't make me chuckle because those kinds of things are funny, but more because of  how untrue I find those words to be.  Honestly, this is not what holding it together looks like, I wasn't given a choice, I didn't get to voice my opinion, and I would never choose this upon my worst enemy, this is not holding it together. Let's be real, everyone knows how much I love to voice my opinion, and I got no say. Secondly, my faith found me again on a Tuesday morning in a doctors office.  And at the same time I tried to process that this kind stranger was diagnosing my daughter with advanced cancer, I was also trying to process how Jesus was going to ac